Danesfort GAA Club was founded in 1922. It incorporates a broad area south of Kilkenny City, encompassing Danesfort itself, as well as Burnchurch, Cuffesgrange and part of Kells. The Club borders rival clubs Bennettsbridge to the east, Graigue-Ballycallan and John Lockes to the west, Carrickshock and Dunnamaggin to the south and city club James Stephen to the north.
History of Danesfort Club Crest
The Danesfort Crest is a beautiful reflection of our consideration of distinctive elements within our community.
Top left corner : The Black & Amber stripes represents our club colours, distinctive, honorable and aptly simulating the Kilkenny County colours.
Top centre : The Turret is the landmark building which sits atop of a ring fort, easily seen at the motorway interchange. The ring fort dating back thousands of years before the coming of Christianity was used as a vantage point on which the Turret was built. As part of the Wemyss Estate, the Turret was initially used for shooting deer and later as a more civilized tea house for the Gentry.
Centre of crest : Burnchurch Towerhouse on the right and Burnchurch Gatehouse to the left, built in circa 1200 AD.
Lower right : The Old Schoolhouse in Cuffesgrange. Built in 1813, it is the oldest functioning schoolhouse in the country.
Bottom left of crest : The River Nore (joined by the Kings River at Ammamult) forms part of the border of our parish between ourselves and the parishes of Tullaherin, Thomastown and Aghaviller.
Finally, the year 1922 shows the year our club, Dún Fearta (The Fort of the Graves) was established.